Saturday, November 22, 2008

ASPIRE: kids, homework, tutoring, fun

Our church, Abounding Grace elca, hosts an after school program for elementary kids (average age is 12) called ASPIRE.  Lutheran Social Services provide the teacher, one assistant and all the supplies.  Thursdays and Fridays are the days I volunteer to help.  It's only for 2-4 hours.  And that's long enough for me.  
Yesterday Jim, another volunteer, and I were whistling a song together.  I don't remember the tune now, but it had something to do with our mental state at the time.  
The average number of kids are 30 and really quite an ethnic soup.  One would think that here in southern Arizona we would have mostly Hispanic, Native American & Caucasian.  But most of our kids are from Africa and the rest are from Iran, Iraq, China and Caucasian.   Religious backgrounds are also varied so snack time has to have a substitute for any pork items on the menu.  
During last month's holiday, halloween, it was realized that some of these kids didn't have a clue about American  celebrations.  They couldn't believe that kids actually got dressed up in costume, went around the neighborhood ringing doorbells and would be given candy.  Just what kind of holiday is that?
Well, they caught on fast and had a great time.  We also realized that another holiday was just around the corner.   What would they know about Thanksgiving?
I'll continue tomorrow...

2 comments:

Julie said...

I remember Mike's haiku about Jack's you know...but that's the only one I remember right now...

I hadn't heard much about the Aspire program. It sounds terrific and really interesting.

Sorry about your camera, but good thing you still have the Italia photos!

That Bread Lady said...

It was something about the Sistine and Da Vince?
I may not be working for a salary, but I'm keeping plenty busy