Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One step at a Time...

This is the beginning, the first, numero uno, my starting place and just where do I begin? 
If it wasn't for my very good friend, Julie, I wouldn't be creating this blog.  It's all her fault!  If that wasn't enough, she left the warmth and sunshine of Southern Arizona and packed up all her quilting fabric, her tie dye totes, her crates of crafting, her crazy canines, her huggable husband and two out of three cuddly children (she left one here, thank goodness) to move to a frozen, mostly gray skied, skimpy on the daylight hours new home in Alaska of all places!   I just hate her!  I just envy her!  I just really, really miss her!  And I hope to visit her in Alaska before she decides to move somewhere else. I've heard a lot about Alaska.  My husband spent several years there when just a boy.  I love anyplace that has big pine trees and mountains.  Also gurgling streams, ice blue lakes, tall willowy aspens, gigantic red maples, you get the picture.  So, why am I living in Arizona?   After living most of my life in the Chicago burbs and Northern Utah, the novelty of snow, lots of snow and cold and ice and scraping windshields and shoveling walks only to have the city snow plow push it back with interest, finally wore thin.  It was time for Ken, my husband, and I to head for the sunshine and warmth (okay, hot, very hot, over 110 degree HOT, but it's a DRY heat) of Tucson.  It's been three years and we're loving it!  Of course we also have air conditioning for the summer when it gets really really HOT.   But sometimes I think about it and I wouldn't mind visiting the snow and ice for a little while...

2 comments:

Julie said...

It sounds like Mark is getting a new job in the army (maybe, don't know for sure yet) which means we will be in Anchorage for a couple of years.

I suggest you visit us in the summertime! It is cold cold cold here now. Today we were at the recycling center, dumping our recycling -- we were outside for maybe five minutes and it was so cold. (Of course, I didn't have gloves on, or a hat, because I forgot we were gonna be doing the recycling. Never go anywhere without gloves in the car...)

But. I am very much enjoying the cold and the new Army housing. We have storage closets! Big ones! And lots of storage space in the heated garage. I love having a heated garage -- when I leave home I get in a nice warm Suburban (unlike the awful horrible hot Suburban in Tucson).

Mojo and Abe like the snow, too, although there is a point at which it gets too cold for them too -- they run out, do what they gotta do, then hustle back inside. But when it's not single digit cold, they tear around in the snow. Abe is much happier in the snow than in the rain. He doesn't like to step in wet grass. I guess in that way he really is a Tucson dog.

Thor and Tess really like it now that there is snow and they can go sledding.

Mark just got back from Thailand, he leaves for three weeks in Japan after Thanksgiving, he goes back to Thailand in February. He has also gone to Hawaii a couple times, Japan at least once. He is excited about the possible new job, it would be much more interesting than the job he has right now.

I have a CPAP now, but with the horrible hacking cough I developed after a cold I had last month, I am having trouble wearing it all night. But I am sure once this stupid cough goes away I will really appreciate it.

Is this a long enough comment for your first blog post? I think you should post some photos of Mr T and Sammy and Ken. And you, of course!

That Bread Lady said...

Thank's Julie for being the first to comment on my new adventure. And it was definately long enough! Best to keep gloves, a hat, scarf AND a warm blanket in that suburban of yours. I saw a red suburban going down the street the other day WITH Alaska license plates and thought "the cold, gloomy days have already gotten to you and you're back in Tucson", but no, it was just somebody else.
A heated garage sounds wonderful. We didn't have a garage in Salt Lake. One of the many reasons we moved out of there. Still don't have a garage here either, but hey, the carport is enough for this climate.
Killed my camera by leaving it in Gus's car for the entire summer. Fried it good! But still had the Italia pics on the memory card. Bought a new one in Salt Lake when visiting up there in October. Had to visit our newest grandbaby Abby. I'll send pics as soon as I download them.
Keep us posted about Mark's possible new job!