Friday, December 19, 2008

Am I ready?



I can't believe it's already the 19th of December. Christmas day will be over in just a week. The year will be over in less than 2 weeks. Am I ready? I have all my envelopes addressed for the Christmas cards that should have been signed and mailed out last week. There are gifts I purchased through out the year that I haven't even tried to find where they are hidden. Some of those presents should have been mailed out already. I've been thinking about making cookies. The butter has been out on the counter for almost a week. It's probably soft enough to work with now. Ken, my darling husband, has had the colored lights up outside for the past 2 weeks. He put the tree up about that time and has been adding ornaments to it every day or so since then. Yesterday he put the star on the top.

So what have I been doing? Well, I finished the church newsletter for January. Last week there was a Christmas party for the kids. It was "Lunch with Santa" and Father Christmas was there to talk to each of the children and gave everyone a bell from his sleigh. I was in charge of lunch. Yesterday the ASPIRE students and volunteers, meet with the Daybreak people for a party. Daybreak is a daycare facility for adults. The young met with the elderly and everyone sang Christmas songs, had snacks, met with Santa, received gifts and a warm recognition was given to all the volunteers.

Somehow, what I've accomplished doesn't seem to add up to very much. I feel like I've really been busy running here, there and everywhere. Through out the month, I've felt tired and worn out.

Yesterday was my birthday. It's no big deal. Yet I craved attention. My birthday frequently gets lost with all the preparations for Christmas. I have 4 sons and only heard from one. It's my own fault as I'm notorious about not getting cards in the mail for their birthdays. It's not that I don't remember everyone birthdays, anniversaries and special events. I do! I even purchase cards that never seem to get mailed. When I die, they'll find enough cards stashed away to compete with Hallmark. Kenny, my youngest God bless him, called and we had a nice long chat on the phone. My sister sang happy birthday on my voice mail. Saturday she will be making a family dinner, complete with blueberry pie, to celebrate. My dad took me out for a wonderful mani-pedi. Ken gave me an adorable Precious Moments figurine.

Yet for some reason, today, I feel a sense of contentment. If the cookies don't get made it's not the end of the world. The gifts and cards will be mailed out even if it's after Christmas. My family should be used to this by now. The tree will get most of it's ornaments hung, up to the time for taking them off and packing all away once more.

The most important thing is to let all of my family and all of my friends know that I love each and everyone of them.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy Birthday!

I think you have accomplished a lot. Putting together the newsletter and all the stuff with the kids eats up tons and tons of time!

I have barely started thinking about Christmas cards, haven't started a list, still have to get on the Lutheran World Relief site and donate stuff in my parents' names and in Zach's name for their Christmas. And I need to get some stuff for Mark, but I think I will get him a guitar, acoustic, that's one of the things he wants. And then I am done with the shopping.

Zachary is flying out Sunday, gets here at midnight Sunday night. He gets back to Tucson on the 9th of January, and is having his wisdom teeth removed I think the 12th, and he needs somebody to drive him. I know he was going to call and ask you if you could help him out with that...I would really appreciate it if you could check on him after once or twice, make sure that he looks okay. I don't like him being so far away and having stuff like that done.

Get some rest. I think that sense of contentment is a good thing -- the stuff that absolutely has to be done will get done. The rest is gravy.

I miss you!